CVCC Clinical Post Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CVCC Clinical Post Conference

Online Clinical Post Conference

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evidence Based Research/ The Other End of the Stethoscope

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Clinical Experience:

My clinical experience was held at Blackburn Elementary School where I along with another nursing student and the school nurse performed height, weight and vision screenings on the 5th grade. Following the screening we calculated the children’s BMI’s based on their growth percentile (85%- Overweight, 95% Obese). I personally was shocked to learn that greater than half of these students were overweight and some even considered obese. I observed one child who was female, 11 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 228 pounds, thus placing this child in the category of being obese. From my clinical experience I felt I was made aware firsthand of the seriousness and potential complications children are facing in the childhood obesity epidemic.

Evidence Based Research Article:

Research shows children that are overweight and obese increase their risk of developing type two diabetes, heart disease and even liver disease. The childhood obesity epidemic has been on the rise for years. Children trade playing soccer, baseball, or any kind of physical activity for two or more hours of video games and television daily, thus increasing their BMI’s and setting themselves up for the risk of health complications if not now down the road. Hospitals have reported a 75 billion dollar increase in medical care solely related to the epidemic (2003). So what are researchers to do? They’re tried incorporating physical activity, healthy lunch menus and smaller portion sizes into the school system. Yes, this helps Monday thru Friday from 8:00am to 3:00 pm, but once the child goes home, what can they do? It is common knowledge children do not know which food is healthier over another per say or that they need to put down the game controller and instead pickup a basketball and find the nearest hoop, that is unless they are being told to do so by a parent or guardian. With this research is saying it is not really the children who need to be treated but actually the parents. Parents who are overweight more than likely have a child who is, reason being the parents who eat pizza for dinner and then sit down to the nightly line up of television shows are also allowing their children to practice in this same habit. Parents need to become aware of their nutritional and physical standpoint and with hope those who are overweight will recognize the risk factors and modifiable lifestyle changes and not only implement them on their selves but also their children.

Article: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/meetings/workshops/child-obesity/index.htm

The Other End of the Stethoscope:

The Other End of the Stethoscope is in inspirational book to me. It exemplifies the true meaning of being a nurse, the role of caregiver we take on and the impressions we make on our patients. I feel that as Nurses/Nursing Students sometimes we get in and get out, do what needs to be done and documented. Nurses are held to a strict time schedule of medication administration or prepping a patient for one procedure and then trying to get a specimen or culture for another, meanwhile another patient’s call bell is going off because they need to go to the bathroom. Yes all this is an easy way to throw you in the “weeds”, stress you out and make you snap at the drop of a pin. What we need to remember is take individual time with your patients; we’re not there for us. We’re there for them. Some may not realize it but our patients perceive us in a certain way; most importantly they trust us with their lives, stories and families. These patients are going to remember the care and support they received. Every little detail matters, “Good morning”, “Do you care to talk about what’s bothering you?” That always reassuring back rub and “Is there anything I can get for you?” These little things make the biggest difference. My goal from here on out is, to keep Marcus’s story in the back of my mind every time I hit those floors, ensure my patients feel that sense of sincere care and understanding of their needs and values.

I like your statement "we are not here for us, we are here for them." It is absolutely true, and yet as you pointed out we forget it all the time for whatever the reason. Stories like Marcus' are extremely important for us to hear. We have to balance the clinical, evidenced based aspect with the caring and empathetic nature that nursing calls for.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum