CVCC Clinical Post Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CVCC Clinical Post Conference

Online Clinical Post Conference

You are not connected. Please login or register

The other end of the Stethoscope-Clinical experience-Hirschsprung's Disease

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Communication:
Effective communication occurs only if the receiver understands the exact information or idea that the sender intended to transmit. Many of the problems that occur between caregivers and patients are either the direct result of failing to communicate, which leads to confusion and can cause good plans to fail. As I cared for my patient 92 year old patient I explained even the simplest intervention. As Marcus said in his book, no one likes being in the dark and considering my patient’s age and state of mind, I didn’t want her to be scared or confused.
Unkind Patient:
I had an unpleasant experience with a patient when I worked as a CNA on an OB Unit. I walked into my patient’s room, introduced myself and noticed the patient had an extremely hateful look on her face. I continued walking toward her and explained that I needed to take her vital signs; still her look had not changed. She did not speak to me the entire time that I was in her room. I exited and ask if she needed anything and was ignored again. Shortly after I left her room, I was told she did not want me in her room again! She thought I was someone else and even though the nurses explained to her I wasn’t that person she said "she hated me"! I felt horrible Sad and the way I handled the situation was staying out of her room.

Hirschsprung's Disease
Nursing Intervention:
I-Observation of vital signs and bowel sounds every 2 hours.
R-Assessing bowel sounds every 2 hours can determine an illus.
I-Measure the weight of children every day.
R-Weight gain is a complication of Hirschsprung’s Disease
I-Observations expenditure per rectal stool – forms, consistency, amount.
R-To insure adequate stool is being eliminated from the bowel.

Before your surgery:
1. Informed consent: A consent form is a legal document that explains the tests, treatments, or procedures that you may need. Informed consent means you understand what will be done and can make decisions about what you want. You give your permission when you sign the consent form. You can have someone sign this form for you if you are not able to sign it. You have the right to understand your medical care in words you know. Before you sign the consent form, understand the risks and benefits of what will be done. Make sure all your questions are answered. Enema: You may need to have an enema before your surgery. This is liquid put into your rectum to help empty your bowel.
2. IV: An IV (intravenous) is a small tube placed in your vein that is used to give you medicine or liquids.
3.Antibiotics: This medicine is given to help treat or prevent an infection caused by bacteria.

After your surgery:
1. You may be taken to a recovery room until you are fully awake. Caregivers will watch you closely for any problems. When caregivers see that you are OK, you will be taken back to your hospital room. The bandages used to cover your stitches keep the area clean and dry to prevent infection. A caregiver may remove the bandages soon after your surgery to check your wound, tubes, drains, or ostomy.
2. Vital signs: Caregivers will check your blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, and temperature. They will also ask about your pain. These vital signs give caregivers information about your current health.
3. Activity: You may need to walk around the same day of surgery, or the day after. Movement will help prevent blood clots. You may also be given exercises to do in bed. Do not get out of bed on your own until your caregiver says you can. Talk to caregivers before you get up the first time. They may need to help you stand up safely. When you are able to get up on your own, sit or lie down right away if you feel weak or dizzy. Then press the call light button to let caregivers know you need help.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum