CVCC Clinical Post Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CVCC Clinical Post Conference

Online Clinical Post Conference

You are not connected. Please login or register

Article:Pain Assessment and Management in Children/The Other End Of The Stethoscope

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Article:

My article was titled:A Survey of Nursing Practice in the Assessment and Management of Pain in Children, by Eufemia Jacob and Kathleen A. Partillo.

Then first part of the article had different research articles. Each supporting research that found discrepencies in pain meds given to children as opposed to pain meds given to adults w/ similar diagnosis/surgical procedures. Stating pain in adults was handled in a more aggressive manner than in children.

The article sent out 480 questionares to RNs in pediatric units. Of the amount sent out 206 were returned. The questioned covered what type of procedures were administered and the degree of pain during these. Questions also asked what type of pain assessment toll was set in place for their facility. How often they utilized the tool. And what type of pain interventions were performed.

The article concluded that the under medication of pain in children may be contributed to the assessment and management by the RN. It stated taht there were alot of literature on pain assessment in children but the survey seemed to show it is not being utilized to its maximum potential.

Chapters 1,2 and 5-8 of The Other Side of the Stethoscope:

I must admit this is pretty cool. We focus so much on doing our assessments, giving the meds in the correct way, whats the patients pathos are, what symptoms are they presenting, performing the procedure in the correct manner and getting it all finished in the proper amount of time(time management!), that we forget why we are here, the patient!!!!! The patient in a way becomes an object rather than a person with feelings, lives, families, hopes, dreams, fears. This is why I came into nursing to begin with, to care for people not emotionless entities. I've tried to honestly hold on to that realization of why we are here, but it sure is hard with the pressures of school and life. However, to some degree a nurse has to be objective and perform their duties in a proffessional and mythodical manner. We can't really help our patients by breaking down and becoming blubbering blobs. The book is special and I look forward to the chapters to come.Smile

Being a blubbering student nurse is sometimes all we know how to be. Lol what I mean by that is that, like you said sometimes we get so caught up with the paperwork that all we need is to make small talk to figure out if they're suicidal and document it. We do forget that our patients need us to stop and think about what is going on in their heart and mind, not just their body. I like your EBP article too!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum