CVCC Clinical Post Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CVCC Clinical Post Conference

Online Clinical Post Conference

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 4- December 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1December 4- December 10 Empty December 4- December 10 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:37 pm

I have never been sick before that required inpatient care so this book has helped me see through the eyes of the patient. After reading this book, I have become more self conscious on what I say and do. I think this will make me a better provider and help me impact my patients in a positive way. I think Barb in the book was a great example of a good nurse she was caring, respectful and provided comfort when needed most to Marc. After reading this book, you can see how the patients see us and how observant they are on everything that we do.

Watch Dog
I had a patient once whose watch dog item was The Bible. She would always request it by her side and would not rest without reading it. Before I would tuck her in a night she would ask me to read a couple of verses to her out loud. This would help her sleep better at night and give her comfort. This would make me feel good that something so minor and took so little time would bring her so much joy.

Over Apologizer
During clinical some of the students and I observed the wound nurse change a wound vac. The client had an infected wound located on her inner left thigh that had been surgically debride. That day it was time to change the foam out and irrigate the wound. She looked like she was in terrible pain as the nurse removed the old foam. The nurse and students repeatedly told her how sorry we were as she moaned in pain during the removal of the foam. We tried to comfort her by holding her hand and giving her encouraging words on how the wound is getting better.

Rock the Boat
As nursing students we might not have rocked the boat with physicians but we might have with the nursing staff. They are always so busy caring for their patients it can make it hard to ask for help or ask questions. Whether you are asking about supplies, or your patient is asking when the physician will make rounds or the patient is requesting additional pain medications. I can think of one incident recently were I had a patient who reported a pain scale of a 10 (0-10). During report that morning the nurses made it seem like she is always complaining and has not been satisfied with anything they do for her. After report I went in and did my morning assessment and she reported she was in pain and needed pain medication. I went to my nurse and she seemed annoyed with me when I reported to her about the patient’s complaint. She then went in and did her assessment and brought the medication. Thirty minutes to an hour later, the patient felt a lot better and was able to rest.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum