CVCC Clinical Post Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CVCC Clinical Post Conference

Online Clinical Post Conference

You are not connected. Please login or register

Article, The other end of the stethescope

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

On Tuesday, I went to Healthy House. I decided to research an article related to childhood obesity and self-esteem issues that may occur as these children grow and mature into young adults. The article states that in the earlier years of childhood, around 9-10 years, there were no significant problems with self esteem. As the children became young adolescents (13-14 y/o), self esteem issues were evidenced and portrayed as sadness, loneliness, and nervousness. Those who exhibited extremely low levels of self-esteem related to obesity included the female population, including caucasian and hispanics. Within this study, researchers also determined that these children who were showing manifestations of low self esteem were also more vulnerable to drug and alcohol use.

Strauss, R.S.,(2000). Childhood Obesity and Self Esteem. American Academy of Pediatrics, Vol. 105(1).pe15.

After reading the assigned chapters in The Other End of the Stethoscope, it gave me a new perspective of what nursing really is. Often, we get tied up in making sure we are clinically competent with our meds, treatment, interventions, charting, etc. with our end goal in mind of seeing that check mark across our eval tool. We neglect to think of our patients at the end of the day, and what kind of care we have left behind as we walk out of the hospital. After reading only the beginning of Marcus's story, it brings back the true reality of what it really means to be a nurse. Ultimately, it is the "little things" that let our patients know we care. I am guilty of walking into a patients room, doing my 7AM vital signs, assessment, making general conversation and then coming back for the "routine" perspectives of care. Marcus's story made me stop and think how such small acts of kindness can make the biggest difference in our patients lifes, even if we are with them for only a few short hours. Just letting them know we are there for them if they want to talk, or just simply be in the room for support means the world to these patients. More often that we may know, our interactions with these patients may be the only one's they have during these times of anxiety and uneasiness. As nursing students, it is our intended profession to care for a countless number of patients in the upcoming years. To us, they are our patients; to them, we are the familiar faces of care in which their trust is invested. The patients we come into contact with are vulnerable, and out of their element. Sometimes, it can be hard to walk out of the patient's room and not take to heart the hateful things that they may have to enlighten us upon. As future nurses, I think it is important as marcus says, to simply understand. Being in the hospital with an illness can bring about fear and tension within that patient's life. No matter it be a family situation, financial, or simply a concern of future health, we are the people who they trust enough to tell their fears to. Instead of viewing this as an insult, we should strive to take the words of hurt from our patients and know that even the not-so-kind words are attempts to "let us in". As I walk into the hospital rooms of my patients in the future, I hope to take a little bit of Marcus's story with me and remember what was important to him, in hopes that it will mean the same to my patients. With the ultimate goal being that my patients life was made a little bit easier that day by my being there.

Your right it made me stop and breathe and reflect for a moment. It is good to sometimes stop and remember why we are in this to begin with. It will be on my mind as I take care of the next patient.

Yes I will diffidently always keep Marcus's story in my mind. I am enjoying the book. It been some of the most helpful advise I have received on therapeutic communication thus far.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum